My Music Video

My Website

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Blog Post 10: My Production Review

I was very pleased to receive generally positive feedback from my teachers and peers throughout the course of my project. They responded well to the "retro, striking and stylish" mood board and pitch for my star persona, and the idea for a colourful and vibrant yet emotionally dark music video narrative was also well-received.

Initially, there were even more plot strands in the narrative, for example, one including a posse of friends whom the protagonist abandons in favour of the manipulative girlfriend, only to return to them after the breakup and they welcome him back with a big, confetti-filled party. After discussions with my teacher, I decided to cut this sub-plot as it didn't fit as well with the individuality aspect of the message, but also due to logistical reasons. So I ended up only using 3 actors and characters in the video.

During post-production, a lot changed in terms of where I imagined the episodic narrative sections, as well as the abstract conceptual sections, would play into the video in relation to the performance bed, however this was very much a change for the better, as I managed to find a balance and flow between the three. One point of change recommended by my teacher was to include more than just one shot of me dancing in front of a 'Violet Sky', which I was lucky enough to catch at a Luxembourg service station at 5am in the morning. This was in order for it to not be as jarring of an addition, as the rest of the video is either set in the studio or Central London.


With the website, my teachers and peers liked the colours, design and overall 'look and feel' of it, as well as its professionalism. My teachers asked that I made my linked page clearer, to include more social contexts such as charities, and to create more of a fan presence. Therefore I made the about page more prominent in the menu bar, created a strip about my star's commitment to Earth Alliance, and added a Q and A feature. I also anchored my menu bar to always be present at the side of the page, to make navigation easier.

Overall I'm very happy and even surprised by how this project turned out. It was full-on and intense, and involved so many disciplines (photography, filmmaking, editing, photo editing, website design etc.) but I've had an immensely enjoyable and educational time.

No comments:

Post a Comment