My Music Video

My Website

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Blog Post 2: Channel 4

My goal in researching Channel 4 is to understand the platform that my adverts will be broadcast on, particularly their values and target audience. Additionally, by researching the channel's programming I can decide when I'd like to schedule my ads and around which shows.
See the source image

Background
Channel 4 is a British public-service television broadcaster that began transmission on 2nd November 1982. It is owned by the Channel Four Television Corporation and is self-funded through commercials. There are many subsidiaries of Channel 4 which are more niche, such as Film4, 4Music and E4 (the main youth channel)

Brand Values
The public service remit for Channel 4 is the provision of a broad range of high quality and diverse programming. Channel 4 aims to:
  • Be innovative and distinctive
  • Stimulate public debate on contemporary issues
  • Reflect cultural diversity of the UK
  • Champion alternative points of view
  • Inspire change in people's lives
  • Nurture new and existing talent.

Programming
- Channel 4 is a publisher-broadcaster, so buys all of its programming from companies independent of itself.
- The Big Bang Theory is broadcast frequently on E4 from Monday to Friday, usually back-to-back around 5pm to 8:30pm, which is the time period that Channel 4 "holds" audiences for the longest, and from as early as 3pm on weekends.
See the source image- Channel 4 was the first to air Big Brother, which was a massive impact on the reality genre and TV in general
- Channel 4 often airs programs and ads with an alternative edge to them.
- Other popular programming includes The Simpsons, Hollyoaks, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Friday Night Dinner, The Circle and Rude(ish) Tube, all programmes geared towards youth.
See the source image


By knowing the types of ads and programming Channel 4 broadcasts - more youth-oriented and 'edgier' content - I can use this information in planning my adverts so they would appeal to the typical Channel 4 audience. It also helps in deciding when to schedule my adverts so they could fit around shows which are watched by my target audience. As a result of my research into Channel 4 I have decided to schedule my adverts on Monday 8:30pm, Tuesday 6:40pm,  Wednesday 6:30pm, Thursday 6:30pm and Friday 7:30pm, between back-to-back episodes of The Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon on E4.


Sources Used:
-Channel 4 Website
-Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment