My Music Video

My Website

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Blog Post 5: Research Into Existing TV Commercials For Take-Away Food Delivery Services

In researching existing food delivery services, I hoped to expand my knowledge on the codes and conventions of this particular genre of advertising and therefore, knowing what the audience expectations are, I can use or break these conventions in my own adverts. It also allowed me to develop and practise my analytical skills, so I had to think about things such as media language, connotations and representation.

I analysed a total of 10 adverts, which you can see in the embedded playlist:


From these, conventions I have noticed include:
-The brand's logo on backpacks, shirts, caps
-An intertitle at the end with the logo and a call-to-action asking you to download the app
-Humour, usually slapstick or absurdist (e.g. giant floating food in the city - Deliveroo)

In-Depth Analysis of One Advert - Just Eat "Magic is Real":

One advert that I analysed in detail is the "Magic Is Real" Just Eat advert. An entire song and jingle were composed for the advert, which is sung-through by the actors. The advert starts off in a domestic, relatable setting - a living room - showing someone ordering from the app, and then depicts a range of different cuisines of food from independent takeaways and restaurants along one high street in London - Myddleton Road - giving the advert a regional feel.

From this advert, I could tell that the brand values/USP is that ordering from Just Eat is like magic, food will 'appear' at your door with just a few taps of the app. There is on-screen text at the end saying "Download the app or order online now" and the colour palette is warm, vibrant and summery. Multicultural London is faithfully represented in this advert, where the range of cuisines shown allows for people from those cultures to be featured, and many ethnicities and even social groups (e.g. businessman in a suit, hipster in colourful clothes) are seen singing and dancing together. Therefore a strong sense of community spirit is instilled in this advert.

The advert is strongly intertextual with the musical film La La Land, as it borrows the editing and camera style of sweeping long takes or "oners" prevalent through the film. The song and music used is explosive and jazzy and the dancing is kinetic and synchronised, evoking the campy, fun 'Hollywood Musical' atmosphere of the film, but on a London high street, further reinforcing local appeal.

Conclusion
Researching these adverts were essential in inspiring me to come up with my own ideas for adverts. I used the element of choice along a high street in "Magic is Real" and made it my brand's USP ("YourFood. Your Choice.). I was also influenced by the action-adventure genre hybridity of the "Just Eat Delivery Intro 2016", where there was a montage of a delivery driver gearing up, and subsequently planned an Edgar Wright-esque montage of my delivery cyclist gearing up to go.


Sources Used:
-YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment